Articles by Claude Barfield
Not So Fast: Conflicting Deadlines for the TPP and US-EU FTA
Friday, March 8, 2013
- President Obama has suddenly embraced a highly problematic trade agenda for his second term.
Heat without Light
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
- The Obama administration owes it to the American people to make public the results of its extensive 18-month investigation of Huawei.
‘What to Do about Huawei?’
Thursday, July 26, 2012
- It is time for both the administration and the Congress to reveal what they have discovered about the Chinese telecoms giant.
A Big Deal: Canada and Mexico Join the Pacific Trade Pact
Tuesday, June 26, 2012
- Accounts of the G-20 summit in Mexico largely miss the most significant development.
The First Carbon Trade War?
Wednesday, April 18, 2012
- Europe vs. the rest of the world.
Reforming the Patent System: How Did We Do?
Friday, September 23, 2011
- Recent patent reform showed remarkable restraint from Congress and will lead to a more efficient and rigorous patent system that will in turn create economic ...
Why the Next IMF Leader Should Not Come from Europe
Thursday, June 9, 2011
- A flawed selection process will produce a director whose legitimacy will be in question from day one.
From ‘Government’ Motors to ‘Shanghai’ Motors?
Saturday, October 2, 2010
- President Obama has a delicate balancing act to manage in the upcoming General Motors initial public stock offering.
Resurrection of the New Democrats
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
- Senator Blanche Lincoln took on the unions and won.
Where Is America in Asia’s Future?
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
- Recent events and trends within Asia may well portend a stepped up pace for Asian regionalism—and heightened danger that the United States will find itself on ...
APEC: The Keystone to U.S. Asian Policy
Friday, November 13, 2009
- As the Obama administration formulates policies for Asia, it should make a trans-Pacific vision for regional integration a clear and central U.S. priority.
What President Obama Can Learn From President Clinton
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
- Compete don't retreat.
Beware of Investment Protectionism
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
- Barack Obama should announce to the world that the United States welcomes and encourages foreign investment.
The Fast-Track Trade War
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
- No matter how our allies react to the Colombia spat, the politics of FTA passage may have been permanently changed.
The Grand Bipartisan Trade Deal
Wednesday, May 16, 2007
- What have Congress and the White House really agreed to on trade? It’s hard to say, judging from their widely differing views of last week’s deal.
Thursday, April 5, 2007
- America’s new trade deal with Korea shows that bilateral negotiations can work. But the deal is headed for tough scrutiny on both sides of the Pacific.